Due to these uncertain times and school closures, information may not have been provided to students in a timely manner. Therefore, we did not receive sufficient applications to award scholarships this year. If you did submit an application, please know that your application will be included in the 2021 scholarship consideration..
Recipient of the Stephanie Joseph Memorial Fund Annual Scholarship will be awarded funds to pursue academic ambitions with the courage, passion, valor, and strength that Stephanie showed while faced with overwhelming adversity. The individual must possess the strong desire to attend college and continue academic pursuits in the face of hardship and adversity. The hardship may be on a personal level or within their immediate family.
SJMF Scholarship Application 2020
Scholarship Recipient Criteria
• Applicants must display honorable character traits such as strong work ethic, dedication to school work and sports, always cordial and polite to others, puts others ahead of self, and desire for completion and success.
• High School Senior student (male or female) with minimum 3.0 GPA (on 4.0 scale) and proven plans to attend four-year college.
• Completion of the application form (postmarked) by April 24, 2020.
• Include at least one letter of recommendation.
• Completion of short essay incorporating the following:
• State what adversities or hardship was faced and what was done to transcend it.
• State how the applicant is enlightened by Stephanie’s story.
• State one example of a time when the applicant put others before self.
We look forward to hearing from you.
• The scholarship funds will vary from year to year, depending on available monies at the time of disbursement.
• One scholarship will be awarded annually, unless the Stephanie Joseph Memorial Fund (SJMF) board deems that there is enough funding to divide monies to more applicants. For 2020 at least two scholarships will be awarded for $2,500.00 each.
• The scholarship recipient will be selected after applications are reviewed by the SJMF board members. Recipient selection will be based on how well the applicant meets the specified criteria.
• If several applicants meet the specified criteria, the Board of Directors may require the applicants to interview with them in order to determine recipient selection. Final selection will be awarded to the candidate demonstrating the most similarities to Stephanie’s work ethic and conduct.
• Awarded monies must be used for college tuition purposes or college incidentals.
• Completed applications (essay and at least one letter of recommendation must be included prior to review) should be postmarked no later than April 24, 2020 and mailed to The Stephanie Joseph Memorial Fund, ATTN: Scholarships, 3 S 555 Winfield Road, Warrenville, IL 60555.
• Awarded candidates will be notified by May 24th and presented with monies as deemed by the SJMF board.
• The scholarship monies will be awarded to the recipient(s) by the Stephanie Joseph Memorial Fund Board of Directors at the awards dinner June 1st.
• All submitted applications are kept in strict confidence and reviewed solely by the SJMF board.
• The recipient may be asked to attend a fund raising event in Stephanie’s honor, to facilitate donations to the Stephanie Joseph Memorial Fund.
• This scholarship is intended to commemorate and honor the memory of Stephanie Terese Joseph.
• Family members of the SJMF Board of Directors are not eligible to apply.